The USAO English Teacher Certification Program is offered through the Division of Arts and Humanities and combines liberal arts learning with teacher preparation. Its goal is to prepare individuals to become effective teachers in the English areas and obtain an Oklahoma Teaching Certificate in English. This program is a standards-based program, based upon the standards and guidelines set forth by the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE) the state competencies, and findings from "Effective Teacher" research. Collectively, these standards and research findings provide the knowledge base for what English teachers are to know and to do.
Upon successful completion of this program, individuals are qualified to obtain an Oklahoma teaching certificate to teach English in grades 6-12. Since USAO teacher certification programs are nationally certified by The National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) certification in other states is simplified. It is recommended that certification be initially obtained in Oklahoma prior to seeking certification from another state.
A program checklist for a degree in English with teacher certification is provided below. Students wishing to pursue a teaching certificate in English should consult one of the English education advisors in the English Department, Davis Hall.
- Admission to the Teacher Education Program
- Satisfied the Foreign Language Competency Requirement
- Satisfied the Professional Portfolio Requirement
- Admission to the Professional Trimester
- Overall Grade Point Average 2.5
- 2.75 Grade Point Average in Certification Area
- Successful Completion of Certification Exams
- Completion of courses listed to the right
Note: Items on this page and page links are intended for informational purposes only. Please consult the current USAO catalog for actual class requirements for this or any other major field of study. Current USAO students should consult their advisor.
- American Indian Studies
- Deaf Education
- Early Childhood Education
- Elementary Education
- Natural Science
- Physical Education
- Political Science
- Speech-language Pathology
- Teacher Certification- Art
- Teacher Certification- English
- Teacher Certification- Math
- Teacher Certification- Music
- Teacher Certification- P.E.
- Teacher Certification- Science
- Teacher Certification- Social Studies
- Theatre Arts
The Division of Arts and Humanities
1727 West Alabama
Chickasha, OK 73018-5322
Professor & Chair, Education and Speech Language Pathology
Associate Professor of Education
Assoc. Professor of Education & Coordinator of Field-Based Experiences
Assistant Professor of Education
Professor of Education
Professor of Education
Associate Professor of English, English Department Coordinator
Interdisciplinary Studies (IDS)