The USAO Mathematics Teacher Certification Program is offered through the Division of Science and Physical Education and combines liberal arts learning with teacher preparation. Its goal is to prepare individuals to become effective mathematics teachers and obtain an Oklahoma Teaching Certificate in mathematics. This program is a standards-based program, based upon the standards put forth by the National Council for Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM), the State Competencies, and the findings from "Effective Teacher" research. Collectively, these standards and research findings provide the knowledge base for what mathematics teachers should know and do.
Individuals successfully completing this program are qualified to obtain an Oklahoma teaching certificate to teach mathematics (algebra, analysis, calculus, computer science (applied) general mathematics, geometry, statistics, and trigonometry) in grades 5-12. Since USAO teacher certification programs are nationally certified by The National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) certification in other states is simplified. It is recommended that certification be initially obtained in Oklahoma prior to seeking certification from another state.
A program checklist for a degree in math with teacher certification is provided below. Students wishing to pursue a teaching certificate in math should consult Dr. Nancy Warden, math education advisor.
- Admission to the Teacher Education Program
- Satisfy the Foreign Language Competency Requirement
- Satisfy the Professional Portfolio Requirement
- Admission to the Professional Trimester
- Pass the Professional Education Examination
- Pass the Subject Area Examination
- Overall Grade Point Average 2.5
- 2.75 Grade Point Average in Certification Area (Mathematics)
- Successful Completion of Certification Exams
- Completion of courses to the right.
Note: Items on this page and page links are intended for informational purposes only. Please consult the current USAO catalog for actual class requirements for this or any other major field of study. Current USAO students should consult their advisor.
- American Indian Studies
- Business Administration
- Deaf Education
- Early Childhood Education
- Elementary Education
- Natural Science
- Physical Education
- Political Science
- Speech-language Pathology
- Teacher Certification- Art
- Teacher Certification- English
- Teacher Certification- Math
- Teacher Certification- Music
- Teacher Certification- P.E.
- Teacher Certification- Science
- Teacher Certification- Social Studies
- Theatre Arts
The Division of Sciences and Physical Education
1727 West Alabama
Chickasha, OK 73018-5322
Interdisciplinary Studies (IDS)