The USAO Physical Education Teacher Certification Program is offered through the Division of Science and Physical Education and combines liberal arts learning with teacher preparation. Its goal is prepare individuals to become effective physical education teachers and to obtain an Oklahoma Teaching Certificate in physical education. This program a standards-based program, based on the standards and guidelines put forth by the American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance (AAHPERD), the State Competencies, and the findings from "Effective Teacher" research. Collectively, these standards and research findings provide the knowledge base for what physical education teachers should know and do.
Individuals successfully completing this program are qualified to obtain an Oklahoma teaching certificate and teach physical education in grades PK-12. Since USAO teacher certification programs are nationally certified by The National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) certification in other states is simplified. It is recommended that certification be initially obtained in Oklahoma prior to seeking certification from another state.
A program checklist for a degree in physical education with teacher certification is provided below. Students wishing to pursue a teaching certificate in physical education should consult Dr. Nancy Osborn, the physical education advisor.
- Admission to the Teacher Education Program
- Satisfied the Foreign Language Competency Requirement
- Satisfied the Professional Portfolio Requirement
- Admission to the Professional Trimester
- Overall Grade Point Average 2.5
- 2.75 Grade Point Average in Certification Area
- Successful Completion of Certification Exams
- Completion of the courses to the right
- Required for Coaching Endorsement: PHED 2313 Prevention & Care of Athletic Injuries
Note: Items on this page and page links are intended for informational purposes only. Please consult the current USAO catalog for actual class requirements for this or any other major field of study. Current USAO students should consult their advisor.
- American Indian Studies
- Business Administration
- Deaf Education
- Early Childhood Education
- Elementary Education
- Natural Science
- Physical Education
- Political Science
- Speech-language Pathology
- Teacher Certification- Art
- Teacher Certification- English
- Teacher Certification- Math
- Teacher Certification- Music
- Teacher Certification- P.E.
- Teacher Certification- Science
- Teacher Certification- Social Studies
- Theatre Arts
The Division of Sciences and Physical Education
1727 West Alabama
Chickasha, OK 73018-5322
Professor & Chair, Education and Speech Language Pathology
Assoc. Professor of Education & Coordinator of Field-Based Experiences
Assistant Professor of Education
Professor of Education
Professor of Education
Professor of Physical Education
Interdisciplinary Studies (IDS)