The Bernadene Protzman Lovell Scholarship was established by its namesake to be awarded to a USAO student majoring in early childhood or elementary education – preferably someone from Caddo or Grady County.
Lovell came to Verden, Oklahoma in 1907 on a train from Kansas. She taught her first year of school in Washita, Oklahoma, as well as Fort Cobb and Anadarko, Oklahoma.
In 1924, her first phonics teacher, Elanor M. Johnson, founded the Weekly Reader magazine. She remembers having Norman Nash, son of OCW President Nash, in her practice teaching class.
She taught for 43 years in Caddo County. She and her husband owned a hardware store in Fort Cobb and a jewelry and gift store in Anadarko. Back to Gallery