Sabbatical Leave

A sabbatical leave provides opportunity for professional growth and intellectual achievement through study, research, writing, and travel. A sabbatical leave will normally involve specialized scholarly activity. However, it may serve to broaden cultural perspectives if undertaken in a systematic manner and based on a plan with objectives and expected outcomes and clearly related to professional development in one's academic discipline or defined realm of responsibility within the University.

Sabbatical leave may be requested by full-time faculty members who have completed six years of full-time academic service at the University. Leave may be granted at one-half salary for two trimesters, or three-fourths salary for the contract year for a one-trimester sabbatical.

Requests for leave must be submitted for division review and recommendation by October 1 of the year before the academic year for which the sabbatical is requested. The request shall state the purpose of the sabbatical, its inclusive dates, the anticipated results, and its expected contribution to the University.

After recommending approval or disapproval, the Division Chair will submit the application to the Vice President for Academic Affairs by October 15, who shall refer it with recommendation to the President by November 1. If the President approves the request, the application will be presented to the Board of Regents at the November meeting. The President will formally notify the faculty member of the decision no later than December 1. Sabbatical leave approved by the Regents will be subject to the availability of funds. Sabbatical leave with compensation will be granted only during the academic contract year.

Faculty members receiving leave shall secure a bond for sabbatical leave and enter into a written agreement to return to the University and remain in its service for a period twice as long as the time for which sabbatical leave is granted, or to repay the University the amount of salary received while on sabbatical leave. If the faculty member returns to the University for only a part of the time required, the amount to be paid the University shall be proportionally reduced.

Sick Leave

Sick leave with pay accrues for full-time, regular faculty at the rate of 15 days per year. The maximum sick leave accumulation is 130 days. Once sick leave has been used, a faculty member is entitled to benefits under the Family Medical Leave Act. For details of eligibility consult the Office of Business and Finance.

Sick leave may be used for personal accidental injury, illness, or pregnancy, or accidental injury or illness of the employee's immediate family. "Immediate family" shall include spouse, mother, father, children, brother, sister, mother-in-law, father-in-law, grandparents or grandchildren of employee or spouse, or a person living in the employee's home who is part of the family.

All time lost from work because of personal illness or disability will be charged to earned sick leave. In the case of extended illness or disability, and after all sick leave has been used including Family Medical Leave Act benefits, the employee will be placed on "Leave Without Pay" until the employee recovers sufficiently to perform regular duties and returns to work. A release from the doctor must be filed in the Office of Business and Finance before returning from extended illness or disability.

The Division Chair will be notified when a faculty member is unable to continue working because of illness. The chair will arrange for classes to be staffed and will report arrangements to the Vice President for Academic Affairs.

Personal Leave

In extraordinary circumstances such as family emergencies, faculty may request personal leave. If such circumstance requires absence from class, the faculty member should contact the Division Chair to arrange for the class to be covered. If such absence requires missing any assigned duty, including, but not limited to, conducting class, keeping a scheduled office hour or appointment, or missing a committee meeting, the faculty member must file a notice of leave with the Division Chair.

Only the most extraordinary of circumstances can justify missing a class for personal leave whether the class is team-taught or singly taught.

Leave Without Pay

Upon recommendation of the President, a faculty member may be granted leave without pay by the Board of Regents.

Notice of all leaves should be on file with the Office of Business and Finance.