Jeanne MatherProfessor of Education
A faculty leader in multicultural education and service learning, Dr. Jeanne Mather has been a member of the USAO faculty in Education since 1990.
Dr. Mather is certified to teach Elementary (1-8); Language Arts (6-8); and Business Math, Algebra, Analysis, Calculus, Computer Science/Applications, General Mathematics, Geometry, Linear Algebra, Trigonometry, American History, Democracy, Oklahoma History, Sociology/Anthropology, U.S. Government, World History (6-12).
One of her passions is helping others. One way she does this is through the “Books for Tots” Program which she co-founded and which has distributed over 50,000 new books to needy children since its inception in 1998. Another of her passions is multicultural education, strongly influenced by her own Hispanic background.
She loves to teach Spanish to fifth graders, which she does once a week (Hola, mis amigos); publishes a multicultural interdisciplinary newsletter, Classroom Spice, and collaborates in a number of other minority outreach activities. She is a strong advocate for interdisciplinary teaching, and encourages the use of children's literature to teach everything from math and science to social studies.
She is the counselor for Pi Omega Chapter of Kappa Delta Pi, the international honor society in Education, as well as the advisor for the campus chapter (SNEA) of the National Education Association Student Program. She is an active member of many organizations including National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM), National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS), and International Reading Association (IRA).
- PhD, University of Oklahoma, 1994, Instruction, Leadership, & Curriculum--Student Perceptions in the Mathematics Classroom: A Study of How African American, Hispanic, Native American, and White Fifth and Sixth Graders Perceive Mathematics and the Mathematics Classroom.
- M.ED, University of Oklahoma, 1988, (Educational Technology--Microcomputer Emphasis Option)
- B.S. University of Science & Arts of Oklahoma, Elementary Certification, Elementary Education
- B.S., Texas A & M University, 1974, Curriculum and Instruction--Math/History, Secondary Certification
- A.A., San Diego City College, A.A., 1970, (Social Science)