Tobacco Free Campus Policy
University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma
The University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma (USAO) is committed to providing its students, faculty, staff and visitors an environment of wellness and healthy living that is free from the use of tobacco. The purpose of this policy is to eliminate all tobacco use whether located indoors or outdoors on property owned, leased or contracted for use by USAO and in state vehicles used for USAO business.
Effective July 1, 2012 it shall be the policy of the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma (USAO) that the use of all tobacco products including but not limited to cigarettes, cigars, pipes, smokeless tobacco and other tobacco products be prohibited on the campus property of USAO.
- The use, sale or distribution of tobacco products is prohibited throughout all indoor and outdoor areas of property owned, maintained, or under control of USAO, including buildings, grounds and parking lots. Tobacco use is also prohibited in any vehicle under the control of USAO or its employees whenever conducting business anywhere.
- This policy applies to all persons on campus, including but not limited to faculty, staff, students, visitors, and others doing business at all USAO properties.
- The University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma will identify the boundaries of its property, post this information for public reference, and provide notice of this policy with appropriate signage, including signs at the entrance to the properties and /or other locations as needed. USAO will also utilize printed materials and other communications as needed to educate employees, students and all other persons using or visiting the property regarding this policy.
- Tobacco product receptacles will be removed from the property, including any ash cans near entryways.
- The promotion of tobacco products will be prohibited anywhere on campus. This will also include prohibiting sponsorship of any school activity by tobacco companies.
- USAO will not accept donations, gifts, money, or materials intended to promote the use of tobacco or participate in any type of services that promote the use of tobacco.
- USAO will provide services to students, faculty, and staff who wish to participate in tobacco-use cessation programs through the use of the Oklahoma Tobacco Helpline (1.800.QUIT.NOW or 1.800.784.8669) the American Cancer Society, the American Lung Association, and/or the American Heart Association. In addition, USAO will make available appropriate educational materials and possible activities concerning the harmful health consequences of tobacco use.
- USAO will make available, through its website, a method of communication regarding tobacco use, prevention efforts on campus related to policy, prevention, and cessation.
- Organizers and attendees at events (meetings, conferences, lectures, cultural events and sporting events) using USAO facilities are required to abide by the policy. Organizers of such events are responsible for communicating the policy to attendees and for enforcing this policy.
- USAO will ensure that job postings will contain information about the tobacco-free environment. All new employees will receive information about the tobacco-free work environment at the time of their employment.
- Contractors conducting business on state property are subject to the tobacco-free policy in the same manner as anyone else on state property.
- Compliance with this policy is shared responsibility of all students, faculty, and staff. Emphasis will be placed on creating a positive and healthy culture, free of tobacco and should be a cooperative effort, encouraged by all faculty, staff and students. Non-compliance with this policy will be handled in the same manner as any other policy violation and is subject to disciplinary process. Non-compliance of this policy shall be addressed as follows:
- USAO students residing in University Housing who do not comply with this policy shall be referred to and the complaint processed by the Directors of Housing. If the violation merits such action, the complaint may be escalated to the Dean of Students.
- All other USAO Students shall be referred to and processed by the Dean of Students.
Faculty and Staff
- Faculty who do not comply with this policy shall be referred to and the complaint processed by their Division Chair and the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- Staff shall be referred to and processed by their director and the Vice President for Business and Finance.
- Visitors who do not comply with this policy shall be referred to and processed by the Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Affairs. The visitor may be asked to leave university premises for failure to comply and may be banned from university property.
- When discipline is necessary, steps may include but not be limited to verbal warning, written warning, suspension and/or termination. This does not prohibit USAO from pursuing other corrective discipline deemed appropriate.
The University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma is responsible for ensuring the annual review of this administrative policy.
This policy is effective July 1, 2012.
- Campus: includes any and all USAO owned, leased, rented, or maintained property including but not limited to buildings, facilities, sidewalks, roadways, parking lots, and grounds. Campus also includes all University owned, leased, or rented vehicles. Campus may not include any owned properties which are leased to third parties under long-term leases.
- Students: includes but is not limited to all students enrolled in University classes and/or classes held on campus, as defined above.
- Tobacco products: includes all form of tobacco but is not limited to cigarettes, cigars, pipes, hookahs, chewing tobacco, snuff, electronic cigarettes (E-Cigarettes) and all other kinds and forms of tobacco prepared in such a manner to be suitable for spit tobacco use, smoking, or both. This term also includes herbal tobacco products, simulated tobacco products that imitate or mimic tobacco products, including but not limited to cloves, bidis, and kreteks.
- Tobacco use: Includes smoking, chewing, dipping or any other consumption or use of tobacco products.
- Visitors: includes, but is not limited to, guests, spectators, contractors, vendors, volunteers and anyone else providing any type of product or service to the University.
- Faculty and Staff: Includes, but is not limited to, all employed at USAO in any capacity whether in a paid or unpaid (volunteer) status.