My professors not only teach me about music but they also advise me and help me with other school work problems that I may have. Music is my passion and I enjoy the personal relationships that I have with my professors. -Mallorie Kimbrough/Blanchard, OK
USAO has a vibrant and engaging music program. The program’s mission is to train students to be capable and effective music educators, to prepare graduates for the rigors of a career as a professional performer or for graduate study in music. All of USAO’s full-time music faculty members hold the terminal degree in their field. In addition, USAO has superb music facilities and two degree tracks in music that students may pursue.
A second part of the program is to support USAO’s academic mission by providing coursework and ensemble participation opportunities, thereby enhancing the liberal arts curriculum and encouraging engagement in the arts for the general student population. The USAO music program and other arts programs serve as the arts hub for the area, enriching the lives of local citizens through concerts, art shows and theater productions.
USAO’s music department, accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music since 1956, offers a Bachelor of Arts in music degree, either with or without teacher certification. Those not certifying to teach may choose an emphasis in performance, fine and performing arts, music business or studio teaching. Regardless of emphasis, music majors select a primary instrument. All music majors take courses in the music core.
Why Major in Music at USAO
- Small classes with lots of individual attention
- No teaching assistants. All classes and private instruction are with highly qualified instructors
- Many opportunities for performance
- Excellent facilities
- All full-time music faculty members have doctoral degrees
- Many scholarships are available for incoming freshmen and returning music students
- Nearly 100% placement of students graduating with teacher certification
- Many cultural and musical experiences through the Davis-Waldorf Performing Arts Series
- The USAO music department is one of the 600-plus institutions accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music
- The music program is part of the broad-based liberal arts focus at USAO
Exciting and rewarding performance opportunities are available through participation in the Concert Choir, Chamber Choir, Concert Band, Pep Band, USAO Showband, Vocal Jazz Ensemble, Key Players of USAO synthesizer ensemble, Opera Scenes Class and Music Theatre Productions. In addition, the music program often offers special performance classes.