Specifically focused on Oklahoma, USAO’s public policy program produces graduates with the skills and passion needed to ensure a bright and sustainable future for our state. With curriculum deriving political science, economics, sociology, and American Indian studies, students in the program graduate with a firm grasp on the various forces shaping public policy.
At USAO, we approach public policy as a complex, interdisciplinary endeavor that requires a broad expertise and involves diverse interests and stakeholders.
Both in and out of the classroom, USAO’s public policy program arms students with the range of knowledge and experiences that will enable them to contribute to policymaking at all levels of society. Students have opportunities to attend state and regional policy conferences, guest lectures and workshops with policy professionals, and participate in leadership programs and internships in the field.
Why Major in Public Policy at USAO?
- One of the only such undergraduate programs in the area.
- Learn from diverse and dynamic instructors who inspire you to succeed.
- Learn the forces that have shaped policy throughout Oklahoma history.
- Gain specific insight regarding public policy towards American Indian nations.
- Study a range of different subjects to develop a broad knowledge-base.
- Advocate for policy that affects your own life.
- Get real-world experience through internships, externships, and other opportunities.
- Develop exceptional research, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Learn skills necessary for success in any number of post-graduate programs.
- Pursue original research with opportunities to present and publish.
- Small classes: expect an atmosphere where your professors know your name.
- Interdisciplinary core courses provide students with the skills needed for the job market.
- Public Policy Advocate
- Political Analyst
- Civil Service
- Intelligence Service
- Economic Analyst
- Social Worker
- Elected Official