USAO’s music teacher certification program equips students with the skills need to teach pre-kindergarten through 12th grade music. The coursework combines the bachelor’s degree in music with the professional education core required in all of our teacher preparation programs.
The teacher certification program provides students with superior instruction in music theory and practice while also giving them a solid foundation in how to pass on this knowledge in an elementary and secondary school setting.
Students enrolled in the program can choose a specialization in either vocal or instrumental music education. At least two summer semesters are necessary to complete this program within four years.
All requirements for teacher certification programs are subject to change if new requirements are established by the Oklahoma State Board of Education, the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education or the Office of Educational Quality and Accountability (OEQA).
Why Pursue a Teacher Certification in Music at USAO?
- Highly-qualified faculty.
- Broadly based interdisciplinary curriculum prepares effective educators.
- Real-world experience working with children.
- Get real-world education experience through student-teaching courses.
- Work in USAO’s acclaimed Child Development Center.
- Develop exceptional skills in research and analysis.
- Pursue original research with opportunities to present and publish.