KNOW THE LOCATION OF FIRE EXTINGUSHIERS IN YOUR AREA AND HOW TO USE THEM UPON DISCOVERY OF SMALL FIRE
UPON DISCOVERY A FIRE:
• Evacuate the building, alerting people as you go. Seek and assist disabled persons in the area. Exit via the stairways. DO NOT USE ELEVATORS!
• Activate fire alarm, give verbal alarm and call 911.
• Call Campus Security at (405) 222-8066.
• If you notice smoke or fire in your path, use alternative exit routes.
• If possible, close all doors leading to the main hallways to prevent further spread of fires.
• Once outside, move to an open area at least 150 feet away from the affected building(s). AVOID INNER COURTYARDS. Keep roadways and walkways clear for emergency vehicles. Remain upwind from smoke and fumes.
• If heat or flames block your exit routes, stay in the room with the door closed. Block smoke from entering where you are with towels or clothing. Remain calm. Consider ways to signal for help.
• If possible, call 911 to alert authorities you are trapped in the building and your location.
• Wait for further instructions from emergency personnel. DO NOT RE-ENTER THE BUILDING UNTIL INSTRUCTED TO DO SO by Campus Security or properly identified emergency personnel.
• Report all fires, even those which have been extinguished, to USAO Security.
If you MUST use a fire extinguisher:
• Pull the safety pin on the grip handle
• Aim the nozzle at the base of the fire
• Squeeze the handles all the way together
• Sweep the extinguisher from side to side