AUSTIN, Pauline A. (Anderson)
Services for Pauline Anderson Austin will be at 2 p.m. Wednesday, June 16, 2004, at Craddock Memorial Chapel with Ben Bailey officiating. Interment will be at Rose Hill Cemetery. Pauline (Mrs. N.S. Austin) went to be with the Lord on June 13, 2004. She was born on July 3, 1908, in Ardmore, Okla., at 622 B St. NW, to pioneer Oklahoma veterinarian, Dr. W.M. (White Marsh) Anderson and Annie Laurie Woods Lipscomb Anderson.
She was preceded in death by her father; mother; two brothers and sisters-in-law, Lipscomb (Dorothy) and John Moultrie (Mabel) Anderson; and her husband, Doc (Norvil Santee) Austin; whom she married on April 10, 1955; her son-in-law, Pat Murphey; and her granddaughter, Beverly Thomas.
Pauline graduated from Ardmore High School in 1927 and received her bachelor's degree at Oklahoma College for Women in Chickasha in 1931, and her master's degree at George Peabody College, Nashville, Tenn., and did doctoral studies at the University of Chicago. She taught music at Wilson, Elk City and Ardmore, and at the University of Tennessee. Like many of her contemporaries, she answered the call to national service during World War II and served in the Red Cross at George Meade, Md., St. Elizabeth's Hospital, Annecosta, Md., Walter Reed Hospital in Washington D.C., and also Pass Hospital, Fort Knox, Ky. Pauline returned to Ardmore and served the YWCA 14 years as youth director and executive director. Her genial and genteel manner brought vision to management style and the YWCA flourished under her leadership. She also helped form the Ardmore Day Nursery. She was as comfortable serving tea from a silver service as she was calling a group of Triangle campers out of the water at Lake Murray with her trademark supersonic whistle! (She taught her grandchildren, Scott, Beverly, Dee Murphey and Kara and Carl Crews Jr., this whistling technique). Always an active member of Central Church of Christ from baptism on July 12, 1919, she taught Bible class, Vacation Bible school, led singers and supported all activities. Pauline was a tireless civic leader and participated in B&PW Club, Ardmore Garden Council, member of Gardenia Garden Club, a charter member of Lake Murray Chapel Board from its inception in 1960, and helped organize the Community Concert Association where she was an active member for 42 years. She served as president of the OCW Alumni and the Oklahoma Garden Council several years and devoted herself to work in building and recognition for the new Oklahoma Christian College in Edmond. Pauline was honored as the YWCA ""Woman of the Year"" in 1992, and helped win the federal Blue Star Highway Award with the memorial at Highways 77 South and 199 for Ardmore.
Pauline leaves behind to mourn her passing her loving family: two daughters, Ruth Murphey, Whitesboro, Texas, and Ann Crews, Colorado Springs, Colo.; son-in-law, Carl Crews; four grandchildren, Scott Murphey, Whitesboro, Dee Murphey, Sherman, Texas, Kara Crews, California City, Calif., and Carl Crews Jr., Colorado Springs; nine great-grandchildren, Travis, Jack, Dee, Chance, Kodi, Jesse, Bonnie, Aaron, Austin and Andrew; four nephews, Mitch Austin, Ardmore, Bill Galatian and Laura, Webster, Texas, John Eldon Anderson and Faye, Corpus Christi, Texas, and Charles Anderson and Stevie, Long Beach, Calif.; four nieces, Sue Carol Mann and Earl Ray, Ardmore, Avis McAdoo, Chandler, Ludie Galatian, Houston, Betty Shiflett and John Schultz, Chicago. Pauline also leaves a multitude of friends, all of whom were touched in some way by her kindness and love, and a special neighbor, Betty Byrd. After 93 years of excellent health, Pauline spent her final years at Southbrook, Ardmore, and Whitesboro Nursing Center, Whitesboro, Texas. Pauline's family expresses their sincere gratitude and appreciation for the excellent healthcare givers who enabled her to live her life fully until God called her home. Special thanks to all who cared. Bearers will be Scott Murphey, Dee Murphey, Carl Crews Jr., Travis Murphey, Jack Murphey and Chance Murphey. Memorials can be made to the YWCA or McLish Avenue Church of Christ.