USAO welcomes artists for the Montmartre 2018 Chalk Art Festival
The University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma invites artists of all ages and skill levels to flex their creativity during the 2018 Montmartre Chalk Art Festival April 5. USAO art alumni will judge each entry and winners will be announced at a ceremony in the early afternoon.
- Registration: April 5, 7:30 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.
- Location: east side of Davis Hall.
- Entry fee: $10, cash-only, per 6-foot by 6-foot square.
- General regulations: Limit of four artists per square; only water-based temporary chalk allowed; no tempura powder, oil-based media or permanent fixatives of any kind.
- All work must be suitable for public display.
- Judging will begin at noon.
- Awards presentation will begin tentatively at 1:30 p.m.
- Contestants are grouped into four age categories: elementary (grades 6 and below), junior high (grades 7-9), high school (grades 10-12) and college/adult.
- Awards will be given for Best in Show as well as Judges Choice in each category.
“Everyone with an interest in showcasing their artistic skills should come be a part of Montmartre—students, friends in the community and anyone else who loves creating with chalk,” said Jacquelyn Knapp, professor of art and co-director of Montmartre. “Even if you’re not competitive, Montmartre is still a great way to meet other artists and art lovers and enjoy a wonderful spring day on our campus.”
Named after the Paris arts district that holds similar chalk-art events, the Montmartre Festival serves a secondary role as a recruiting event for art department and for USAO as a whole. “The mix of artistic and academic events along with great live music really makes an impression on students thinking about where to go for college,” said Knapp.
Each year on the first Thursday of April, Montmartre is held in conjunction with the USAO Scholastic Meet and Droverstock Music Festival in what is known as the Spring Triad, the university’s largest annual event. In the scholastic meet, students from regional high schools compete in a wide variety of subjects with awards given to the highest scorers at the individual and school level. Droverstock is a destination for bands from around the country and from many different genres to perform on campus.
For official rules and forms, visit usao.edu/events/montmartre-2018. For more information, contact co-directors of Montmarte Jacquelyn Knapp at 405-574-1302 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or Jordan Vinyard at 405-574-1301 or email@example.com.