USAO’s psychology program employs a diverse range of methodologies to better understand the workings of the human mind. Students receive both a firm foundation in psychological theory well as hands-on experience through original research and service-learning projects.
Emphasizing our interdisciplinary approach to education, psychology students study how our thoughts and behaviors result from an enormously complex web of interacting influences.
Our psychology curriculum includes a wide range of courses covering the discipline’s history and development as well as emerging areas of research in contemporary psychology. Our psychology majors often pursue advanced degrees or find work in social services, business and many other disciplines.
Why Major in Psychology at USAO?
- Learn from diverse and dynamic instructors who inspire you to succeed.
- Gain insight into the workings of the human mind.
- Study different methodologies in psychological research.
- Examine the ways that psychologists model the mind, emotion, and behavior.
- Learn how psychologists break cycles of destructive behaviors.
- Get real-world experience through internships, externships, and other opportunities.
- Develop exceptional skills in research and analysis.
- Learn skills necessary for success in any number of post-graduate programs.
- Pursue original research with opportunities to present and publish.
- Small classes: expect an atmosphere where your professors know your name.
- Interdisciplinary core courses provide students with the skills needed for the job market.
- Clinical Psychologist
- School Psychologist
- Medical Researcher
- Social Worker
- Crisis Counselor
- Intelligence Officer