USAO’s sociology problems teaches students how to examine patterns of social behavior and social structures throughout history. Students study everything from the arrangement of family groups, to the definition of behavioral norms, to intercultural interactions across the entire spectrum of human societies.
Combined with the richness of our liberal arts core, the sociology program provides a broad base of knowledge that allow students to pursue many different career paths.
Our sociology majors graduate with a strong foundation for further professional training in areas such as social work, law, criminal justice, gerontology, and many other fields or for graduate study aimed at careers in teaching and research.
Why Major in Sociology at USAO?
- Learn from diverse and dynamic instructors who inspire you to succeed.
- Gain insight into the organization of social groups.
- Study different theories and methodologies in sociological research.
- Examine the development of social structures throughout history.
- Learn the different ways in which societies organize themselves.
- Get real-world experience through internships, externships, and other opportunities.
- Develop exceptional skills in research and analysis.
- Learn skills necessary for success in any number of post-graduate programs.
- Pursue original research with opportunities to present and publish.
- Small classes: expect an atmosphere where your professors know your name.
- Interdisciplinary core courses provide students with the skills needed for the job market.
- Political Analyst
- Public Policy Analyst
- Criminal Justice Advocate