Among the original seven liberal arts, USAO’s vibrant music program prepares graduates for the rigors of a career as a professional performer, music teacher, or for graduate study in music. Through in-depth coursework in theory and technique, as well as rigorous performance requirements, the program develops students into competent, creative, and curious musicians.
The USAO music program enhances the arts scene in the area, enriching the lives of both our students and local residents through concerts as well as collaborative theater and art shows.
USAO offers a Bachelor of Arts in Music with concentrations in music education, performance, and music business. Regardless of emphasis, music majors must select voice or an instrument for primary specialization and complete a rigorous core of musicianship coursework.
Why Major in Music at USAO?
- Private lessons with faculty and other outstanding performers.
- Highly-qualified instructors.
- Exciting and rewarding performance opportunities.
- Excellent performance spaces and practice rooms.
- Specialized classes in theory, history, pedagogy and conducting.
- Collaborate with students and faculty from other disciplines.
- Nearly 100% job placement for students graduating with teacher certification.
- Cultural enrichment through numerous arts and lecture series.
- Small classes: expect an atmosphere where your professors know your name.
- Interdisciplinary core courses provide students with the skills needed for the job market.
- Band Director
- Choir Director
- Studio Musician
- Private Instructor
- Church Musician
- Music Business Manager
- Primary or Secondary Music Teacher