Among the original seven liberal arts, USAO’s vibrant music program prepares graduates for the rigors of a career in music education, music performance, business, or for graduate study in music. Through in-depth musicianship coursework, the program develops students into competent, creative, and curious musicians.
The USAO music program enhances the arts scene in the area, enriching the lives of both our students and local residents through concerts, outreach, and collaborative events with other university departments and community partners.
USAO offers a Bachelor of Arts in Music with concentrations in music education, performance, and business. Regardless of emphasis, music majors select a primary specialization. Music education majors may select an emphasis in either vocal or instrumental music and choose a primary specialization from the areas of brass, percussion, piano, voice, or woodwinds. Music performance and business majors may select a primary specialization from the areas of brass, composition, guitar, percussion, piano, voice, or woodwinds.
USAO’s music teacher certification program equips students with the skills needed to teach pre-kindergarten through 12th grade music. The coursework combines the Bachelors of Arts degree in music with the professional education core required for a career in teacher education in accordance with the state of Oklahoma. The music education emphasis provides students with superior instruction in musicianship and pedagogy and equips them with the pedagogical tools to teach in an elementary and secondary school setting. At least two summer semesters are necessary to complete the music education degree within four years.
Why Major in Music at USAO?
- Private lessons with outstanding faculty.
- Highly-qualified academic instructors.
- Exciting and rewarding performance opportunities.
- Excellent performance spaces and practice rooms.
- Vibrant musicianship coursework.
- Collaboration with students and faculty from other disciplines.
- 100% job placement for students graduating with teacher certification.
- Near 100% passing rate on the Oklahoma Subject Area Test (OSAT).
- Small classes: expect an atmosphere where your professors know your name.
- Broadly based Interdisciplinary core courses that create well-rounded and musically-intelligent students with skills needed for the job market.
- The University has been continually accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM) since 1956.
- Elementary or Secondary Music Educator
- Band Director
- Choir Director
- Studio Musician
- Private Instructor
- Church Musician
- Music Business Manager/Owner