Grants and Work-Study

Unlike loans, you do not have to repay grants unless you withdraw from or stop attending school in the first 60% of the term, or were issued an amount you were not eligible for.


The Federal Pell Grant Program provides need-based grants to low-income undergraduates. Grant amounts can change yearly and are dependent on: the student's expected family contribution (EFC); the cost of attendance (as determined by the institution); the student's enrollment status (full-time or part-time); and whether the student attends for a full academic year or less. Students may not receive Federal Pell Grant funds from more than one school at a time. Students must attend class to ensure payment of Pell Grant eligibility. Instructors are required to report to the financial aid office all students who do not attend class at least once during the first two weeks. Those students may have their Pell adjusted or removed. The amount of other aid you receive will not affect the amount of your Pell Grant. Students can only receive the Pell Grant up to 12 full-time semesters, or the equivalent. The maximum award amount is given for any Pell Grant eligible student whose parent or legal guardian was a member of the U.S. Armed Forces and died as a result of service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after September 11, 2001. (You must be under 24 years old or enrolled at least part-time in college at the time of your parent’s or guardian’s death.) Students who are not eligible for the Pell Grant but meet this requirement will be eligible for the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant equal to the maximum amount of the Pell Grant.


The FSEOG Program provides additional need-based grants to Pell Grant eligible undergraduate students to promote access to postsecondary education. Institutional financial aid administrators at participating institutions have substantial flexibility in determining the amount of FSEOG to award students who are enrolled or accepted for enrollment. Priority is given to those students with exceptional need (those with the lowest EFC scores) and those who apply early. Science & Arts is allotted a limited amount of FSEOG each year and cannot award funds above this allotment. The amount of FSEOG you receive can be affected by other financial aid in your overall award package.


OTAG (Oklahoma Tuition Aid Grant) is a limited fund and is made available to students with the highest unmet need. OTAG recipients must also be residents of Oklahoma and eligible for the federal Pell Grant. Due to funding limitations, not all Pell eligible students can receive OTAG. Early application is encouraged. The amount of OTAG offered can be affected by other gift/grant aid in your overall aid package. Section 407 of the Higher Education Opportunity Act requires that states notify students that grants such as OTAG are a part of LEAP (Leveraging Educational Assistance Partnership) and are funded by the federal government and the state.


This is not a grant, but is a work program. The Federal Work-Study Program provides part-time employment to assist students in financing the costs of postsecondary education. Eligibility for FWS is determined from the results of the student’s FAFSA. Some students who are not eligible for grants may still have eligibility for FWS. Students who have indicated interest in the FWS program and have eligibility will receive an application with their initial award letter. This must be completed and returned to the Financial Aid Office for possible job referrals. All students may check with the Financial Aid Office regarding their eligibility or other questions regarding this program. Placement in a position is based on the availability of jobs. Earnings are paid directly to the student every other week for the actual hours worked and submitted. Students may not begin FWS without approval of the financial aid office.  The majority of work-study positions are paid at the federal minimum wage.