Greetings from your USAOAA President
Hello Alumni Family!
I'm Heidi Walker, a proud member of the class of 1988. I am a retired Special Ed teacher from Amarillo, Texas. I volunteered on the USAO Alumni Association's Board of Directors for 9 years prior to being elected President. My term ends in November, 2023 and I have enjoyed representing you in that role!
A major focus of the USAOAA is supporting students through our alumni scholarship program. I'm sure many of you can remember the relief you felt in receiving a scholarship, maybe you were even a recipient of an alumni scholarship yourself. Being able to give back, any amount, changes lives and we are so very proud of the impact our scholarships make. For the 2022-2023 school year we were able to award over $114,494.00 to 81 individual students (our future alumni) from 106 named scholarships. Thank you all who supported scholarships on Giving Day and for those who didn't get the chance, you can still donate on our alumni giving page at https://usao.edu/alumni/give.html.
Giving your time by volunteering is another way to support the USAOAA. Alumni events always need volunteers and participants. One of my favorite events is graduation. The Alumni Association covers the cost for cap and gown photos. Consider helping us make grads picture perfect in Troutt 126 between 9-11 a.m. before graduation. The Alumni Association also sponsors the Freshman Orientation cookout in August. Greeting students and welcoming the new freshmen is always exciting. During Orientation Weekend, we also host an alumni booth with giveaways at Street and Greet in downtown Chickasha. Want to mentor a student? Another way you can connect is through the Pathways Alumni Mentoring Program. Consider helping us out by applying to mentor this summer. This program matches alumni with current students to help with retention and graduation success. These connections help make the transition from graduate to engaged alum an easier one!
Give back by acknowledging the success of your fellow alums. Stay connected by nominating a worthy alum for the Alumni Hall of Fame or the Young Alumni Award.
We would love to have you serve on the board with us. Consider applying for the Alumni Association Board of Directors. The election and ballot is sent out in early Fall, but it is never too early to apply!
As the school year winds down, I encourage each of you to reach out to a classmate and encourage them to make sure their contact information has been updated. With our new Alumni Association platform on Almabase, there are new ways to connect with each other--if you haven't done so yet, create a profile.
I look forward to continuing to represent you as Alumni Association Board President, and impacting the lives of students through alumni scholarships.
Heidi Walker, '88
Connect with us!
We are excited to announce that we are shifting our Alumni Association communications, event management, email marketing and membership management to Almabase's Alumni Network platform in our continuing efforts to boost engagement.
We look forward to simplifying how alumni connect, network, and keep their information updated.
Simply follow the link below to create your Alumni profile. Once on the platform, you will click "Login" on the top right and register on the platform. The process is the same for everyone.
1. If you’re a University of Science & Arts alum, sign-up for an account. Users are verified before they can connect to ensure that the network remains exclusive to our alumni. Reconnect with the University of Science & Arts of Oklahoma Alumni Network community.
2. Your data and activity are not some commodities to be bargained for by advertisers, and we respect that. Unlike a public social network, this is a secure, invite-only network exclusive to the University of Science & Arts of Oklahoma. You can find your friends and interact freely without fear of any impostors, or your data ever being misused.
3. This is a private network. Every person on it is a carefully verified alumnus of the University of Science & Arts of Oklahoma. Therefore, we can provide you access to benefits like career mentoring, job boards, photo galleries, exclusive content from the organization, etc. For instance, network with a University of Science & Arts of Oklahoma Alumnus today:
4. You want to know what’s happening with the teams, your classmates, and if there are any events in the area. But you don’t want a ton of messages to flood your inbox every other day, right? We hear you! We’ve built this platform with some great technology. Just update your interests on your profile, add the correct details, and join the groups you want to be part of. We’ll do our best to send you only things that will be relevant to you.
5. The alumni community is one of the most willing and accessible networks. Are you building the right connections there? Go to the Alumni Directory on the University of Science & Arts of Oklahoma Alumni Network to find alumni working in your industry or city and reach out to them!
The network is a set of tools and resources for you to use WHEN you want to use it.
For instance, try using the filters on the alumni directory to find the University of Science & Arts of Oklahoma Alumni in your city. You might find someone from our big family nearby to catch up!
Follow us on our social media channels to keep up with what we're doing and planning for Alumni!
Official commencement photos, along with other event photos will be posted on our Flickr account.